SWFL 2019, Round Two: South Bunbury claims four-point win over Collie Eagles

South Bunbury claimed its first win of the 2019 South West Football League season in a low-scoring clash at Hands Oval.

Eager to make amends following their loss to Augusta-Margaret River Hawks, the Tigers went up against an enthusiastic Collie Eagles in round two.

Experiencing a topsy-turvy 2018 and a loss to Eaton in round one, Collie was determined to produce some top-class football and move up the ladder.

The Eagles braved the wintry conditions and got off to a rollicking start. The side booted the first three goals of the game, in front of a shocked South Bunbury home crowd.

Fearlessness and quick decision-making saw the visitors move out to a 3.2.20 to 0.3.3 lead at the first change.

Spurred on by coach David Obal, the Tigers clawed their way back with three unanswered majors in the second term.

The home side did enough to clinch a 3.5.23 to 3.2.20 half-time lead. Both teams went pound-for-pound in the third term, before the momentum swung back in Collie's favour.

South Bunbury kicked just two points, while the Eagles impressed with two goals. Leading by 10 at three-quarter time, Collie looked set to take home the four points.

South Bunbury, however, refused to give up - kicking two goals and keeping Collie scoreless during a nail-biting fourth term.

Following a handful of near-misses, the home side went on to celebrate a 5.9.39 to 5.5.35 victory.

Connor Mccamish, Benjamin Horsman, Riley Flynn, Guy Piggott, and William Clemett slotted one goal each for the Tigers.

Collie saluted the efforts of Jeffrey Smith (two goals), Alex Tweedie (two goals), and Jason Roney (one goal) in Sunday's game.

Travelling to Harvey Recreation Ground on Saturday afternoon, the Hawks provided a dazzling display against the Bulls.

Augusta-Margaret River hit the ground running, and booted three goals to one in the first term.

Kicking another two goals in the second, the visitors held a commanding lead, 5.10.40 to 1.5.11, at half time.

Hawks' stars Harry Taylor and Braden Smith were unstoppable around the ground and kicked four goals each.

Once again, 2018 Hayward Medal winner Mitchell Lynn was a force to be reckoned with - kicking two goals and earning four best-on-ground votes.

Slotting four goals in the third quarter and another four in the fourth, Augusta-Margaret River picked up an easy 13.15.93 to 3.11.29 win.

A remarkable first quarter saw Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault score a decisive victory against Bunbury in overcast conditions.

With a six-goals-to-one haul, the Lions nabbed a 32-point lead at quarter time. Bunbury became frustrated, after HBL booted four goals to two in the second term.

The Bulldogs then booted four goals in the third and shrunk the gap to 41 by three-quarter time.

The Lions sit third on the ladder following their 14.10.94 to 12.6.78 result. HBL forward Kristin Thornton starred with four goals.

Donnybrook returned to the winner's circle with a dynamic effort against Busselton at VC Mitchell Park.

Kicking five goals to three in the first half, the Dons earned a 5.3.33 to 3.5.23 buffer at the main break.

Helped by Samual Lowrie and Brett Robinson (four goals each), the reigning premiers came away with a 10.7.67 to 5.9.39 win.

Carey Park was left to lick its wounds following its 103-point loss to Eaton Boomers at Glen Huon Reserve.

The Boomers put themselves in a strong position early on, before moving out to a comfortable lead.

The Panthers were shell-shocked after Eaton notched up a resounding 21.10.136 to 4.9.33 win.

Following the Easter break, teams will return to the field for Round Four on Saturday, April 27.

Read more:

This story Tigers defeat Eagles first appeared on Bunbury Mail.