SWFL, Round Five: Collie claims 11-point win over Harvey in emotional contest

Last week, Harvey Bulls Football Club's players, coaches, and fans came together to pay tribute to Lachlan "Lockie" Hernaman.

Remembering Hernaman for his compassion and selflessness, hundreds attended the player's funeral service on Tuesday, May 14.

On Saturday afternoon, the club returned to the field for the first time since the 20-year-old's sudden death.

The league side went up against Collie in an emotional clash at the Harvey Recreation Ground.

After the opening bouncedown, the Eagles made some accurate passes and moved swiftly down the wing.

Taking an impressive mark near the goalsquare, Alex Tweedie opened Collie's account with the first goal of the game.

The Eagles set up multiple chances in the first quarter, but failed to capitalise.

Bulls Michael Robinson and Brendon Coxon performed well under pressure, and tried desperately to clear the ball out of Collie's forward 50.

A promising effort from Eagle Jared Debenham was stopped by Harvey's backline late in the term.

Following a handful of near misses, the Eagles claimed an 11-point lead at quarter time.

Early in the second term, Collie leapt off the blocks before booting their second goal.

The home side then kicked into gear and began making smarter decisions around the ground.

Bull William Nona's attempt fell short, after Jacob Pickett's snap kick was tapped behind. Eagle Liam Reuben came to the rescue by smothering Jay Collard's attempt, from 35 metres out.

The visitors moved the ball up forward and kicked their third goal, midway through the term.

Tweedie secured Collie's fourth soon after, with a stunning set shot close to the boundary line.

The Eagles then received a 50m penalty, after Robinson unleashed a late charge and knocked Reuben to the ground.

Robinson redeemed himself by kicking the Bulls' first goal just before half time.

Harvey and Collie both produced quality football in the second half.

The Bulls missed some crucial opportunities, before Jarrad Martin slotted the Eagles' fifth goal.

The crowd breathed a sigh of relief, after Brayden Mann booted Harvey's second.

Trailing 5.12.42 to 2.7.19 at three-quarter time, the Bulls needed to move fast and kick accurately in the fourth quarter.

After Tweedie kicked Collie's sixth goal, the home side responded by booting their third.

In the final few minutes, Harvey's Jay Collard and Harley Italiano closed the gap with one goal each.

Despite their best efforts in the final term, the Bulls were unable to stop Collie from clinching a 6.17.53 to 5.12.42 win in Round Five.

Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault picked up another four points, and claimed top spot on the ladder, with a 10-point win over the Eaton Boomers.

Trailing throughout the contest, the Lions booted three unanswered goals in the fourth term to secure an 11.9.75 to 9.11.65 result.

Losing 0.0.5 to 11.11.77 to Donnybrook at Hands Oval, South Bunbury put up the lowest score in South West Football League history.

Dons Sean Lynch and Samual Lowrie dominated up forward and kicked four goals each.

An epic first-quarter performance led Augusta-Margaret River to a 10.17.77 to 6.7.43 victory over Carey Park at home.

Harry Taylor, once again, starred for the Hawks with three spectacular goals.

Bunbury nabbed its second win for the season with 73-point thrashing of Busselton at PC Payne Park.

Helped by a five-goal haul from Cameron Hay, the Bulldogs marched to a 14.7.91 to 2.6.18 win.

All 10 teams will return to the field for Round Six this weekend.

Read more:

This story Narrow loss for Bulls first appeared on Bunbury Mail.