Collie still safe

Local police have assured the community that the region is a safe place to live after a range of unlicensed firearms were seized from a Collie residence along with a range of ammunition.

On November 7 Bunbury detectives, border force firearms detector dog and border force regional investigators executed search warrants on a residential property on Ogden Street.

The search was part of Operation Athena, a multi-agency initiative targeting the trafficking and use of illicit firearms throughout Australia and saw a 33-year-old male charged with multiple weapon offences.

Collie senior sergeant Heath Soutar said the result was pleasing but hoped local's didn't see it as an indication of an unsafe Collie.

"Look it's disappointing to see those firearms are within the community and it's definitely a great result to now have them seized and in police custody," he said.

"(Collie) is not unsafe, illegal firearms is not a collie centric issue, it's a wider issue than that and people should feel comfortable being around town."

Six unlicensed firearms were seized during the search warrants along with a variety of ammunition, several controlled and prohibited items and drug implements.

Police allege most of the weapons were stores in a concealed compartment behind the stove in the kitchen.

After being arrested by WA Police Force the Collie man was charged with:

  • Unlicensed person came into possession of three or more firearms;
  • 2x unlicensed person possess firearm/ammunition;
  • 3x possessed a prohibited weapon
  • 2x possession of contrivance known as a silencer; and
  • 2x possessed any drug paraphernalia in or on which there was a prohibited drug or plant.

According to ABF the investigation started in September when officers at the Sydney Gateway facility examined an air parcel sent from Israel and allegedly found a rifle chassis that incorporates a folding stock, which is a prohibited item in Australia.

ABF WA Superintendent of Investigations Clinton Sims, said the ABF would continue to target people who attempted to import firearms, parts or accessories without permits.

The man faced the Bunbury Magistrates Court on Friday November 8 and remains in custody until his next court date, November 28.