Elective surgery is to be ramped up in Western Australia after long delays and cancellations due to COVID-19.
Elective surgery in WA hospitals will increase to 75 per cent of normal activity on Tuesday, June 2, with the full resumption of elective surgery expected on Monday, June 15.
This recent increase in elective surgery activity comes following the news of half of all normal elective surgery resuming on May 15.
Health minister Roger Cook said the decision to increase elective surgery activity had been made possible due to the success of WA's health measures and acquisition of significant stocks of personal protective equipment.
"I'd like to recognise the great work of our hospitals in their quick responses to the reductions in, and ramping up of, elective surgery at such short notice," he said.
"We are extremely fortunate that we have been able to respond appropriately to COVID-19 and still safely care for patients in need, and provide urgent and emergency care.
"I again thank the people who have had their surgeries cancelled or postponed for their patience during these uncertain times and reassure them that suitable processes are in place to ensure their safety from COVID-19 in our hospitals."
Patients will be contacted by the hospital if the surgery is scheduled to proceed. People are asked to not contact hospitals directly with enquiries as it diverts staff away from their core duties at this busy time.
The impact of elective surgery will be monitored and reviewed in the coming months, including a strategy to undertake additional elective surgery.