Man fights for life after brawl

AN AUSTRALIAN is fighting for his life and two compatriots have been injured after an apparent case of mistaken identity turned violent on the Greek party island of Mykonos.

The incident occurred late on Monday night after the trio left a club at Paradise Beach at the popular tourist destination.

Doujon Tabone, 20, of Sydney, is on life support in an Athens hospital after being struck in the head with a metal baton.

His 20-year-old cousin, Cameron Tabone, a hospitality worker, suffered a broken nose and broken wrist in the attack. The two, together with a third Sydney man, were allegedly followed from the club by two of its employees.

The unidentified third Australian is believed to have suffered minor head injuries during the incident. It is understood the two club employees - a 25-year-old bouncer and an 18-year-old car park attendant - approached Cameron and Doujon Tabone after they had left the venue, demanding their passports and accusing them of stealing of a handbag.

When they protested their innocence and refused to hand over their travel documents, an altercation ensued, during which the bouncer is said to have struck Doujon Tabone with a foldable metal baton. Two other bouncers who were passing by allegedly joined the fight.

The 25-year-old bouncer is expected to be charged with grievous bodily harm when he faces court on the island of Syros today. The parking attendant and two other bouncers are expected to appear in the same court today on the same charges.

During the arrests police found the weapon, and a T-shirt soaked with what is believed to be blood.

Doujon Tabone was flown with his cousin to the Tzaneio Hospital, in the port city of Piraeus, where he underwent surgery at 7am on Tuesday.

He was later transported to Errikos Dinan Hospital, in Athens, where he remains in a coma.

The fathers of Cameron and Doujon Tabone were due to arrive in Athens on a flight from Sydney at midday today.

Doujon Tabone's uncle is believed to have arrived on a flight from London yesterday, but local officials were said to have imposed access restrictions.

The severely injured man's mother is believed to have been unable to travel from Sydney after falling ill at the airport.

The Southern Aegean police chief police, Brigadier Dimitris Leroyiannis, told the Greek television station Alpha that there had been no reports of a stolen handbag from the Mykonos venue.